Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Everyone's a Critic: The Wolverine

I was down in Wellington for work on Tuesday and Wednesday the week before last and popped out for a movie-dinner with The Married Ones, Tuesday night.

SPOILERS, though I'm sure everyone who cares has seen it already.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed.  I really liked Origins, but The Wolverine just didn't float my boat to the same level.  It wasn't bad, and I really liked some of the concepts - like the mutation suppressing matrix-esque mechanical 'bugs'; but overall it just felt like a movie in which to set up Logan with a new love interest.

Rekindle his joie de vivre, as it were - for continuance of the franchise.

And, of course, utilise creepy dreams of Jean in bed.  I guess they had to show his love for her wasn't a fleeting infatuation.  Poor Scott.

Best scene?  Where he cuts his own chest and plunges his hand in to grab the bug off his own heart.  Lovely.

Some of the 'classic Japan' was lovely, but mostly it felt quite contrived.  The random-white-lady was a bit of a strange factor, her purpose/presence wasn't explained completely to my satisfaction.  Though her skin-shedding was wicked, and seeing her bald was a nice fighting-stereotypes touch.
They were very clever with the baddie - you think his character is redeemed and then BAM! Not redeemed.  And supposedly the company was driven into ruin, but then - not.  Logan's new love interest is head of 'the family' and paying for him to flit about the world in a private jet.  So - not so financially ruined after all?!

I have a question - as soon as Logan knew/suspected he was going to live ~forever, why didn't he pop a couple bricks of gold etc in a bank?  Not very good at the planning sitch, is the Wolverine.

The ending left me worried - are they going to re-adamantium-ise his claws?!  What use are they breakable and without a cutting edge?!  Pokey and snappy, people!  Fix it!

Of course, one of the everlasting perq's of seeing any Wolverine movie:

I laughed less than in Pacific Rim (which was hilarious), but was invested in the interests of the characters more, so -
4 out of 5 (where: 1=actively burning it, 2=waste of time, 3=don't regret having seen it, but... 4=good movie, recommended, 5=blewmymindwhyhaven'tyouseenityetI'vegottoseeitagaintalktoyoulater).

No comments:

Post a Comment