Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Everyone's a Critic: Oz; The Great and Powerful

Confession - The Wizard of Oz movie completely terrified me as a child and I always hated it and have only the barest of recollections of it - mostly in visual form; sparkly red slippers, the yellow brick road, the accents etc etc, and of course - the overwhelming dread of being lost & it out of your control.

Same reasons for hating Alice in Wonderland as a child, too.

Not my cup of tea.

However, as an adult and having put aside such childish worries (I have a smartphone now, no getting lost for me) I really quite enjoyed Oz:TG&P, but was mostly struck with the reaffirmation of boys' ability to be complete prats, and totally understanding Theodora's desire to rain down fire upon the land.  And, well - the woman can fly.  Love.

Eponine, Theodora - this year's movies have been a study in women scorned.

Second confession - I've hated Michelle Williams since Dawson's.  So that probably didn't help.  (I totally snuck in to watch it while the BigSib was a fan, way back when; ohmygod 14 years ago).

Anyway - wow, segue.   This movie is a delight to the senses and I totally dig the opening scene done in half size and black & white; it makes the transition to Oz all the more beautiful, which was no doubt part of the reasoning behind it.  I can't comment on the 3D aspect, since that tech has yet to make it to the wee Whakatane theatre.  I can see however, the potential for it - but it did not lack anything for not having it.  More proof towards my crusade against frivolous 3D.

So - the cinematography was beautiful and I loved the back story explaining how The Wicked Witch of the West came to be.  The china doll was darling.  The redemption of Oz's character was good, but made no overtures to reconciliation or recompense towards Theodora - basically; I'll play you till you become an evil hag, and totally, completely get away with it.  Not ok.

3.5 out of 5 (where: 1=actively burning it, 2=waste of time, 3=don't regret having seen it, but... 4=good movie, recommended, 5=blewmymindwhyhaven'tyouseenityetI'vegottoseeitagaintalktoyoulater).

No comments:

Post a Comment