Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Water water everywhere

And not a drop to drink.

Ok, first - Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Google how could you do this to me?!

Second - Ooo! Feedly is pretty!

Bandwagon heyhooooo!

Ok, so today has been pretty epic.  A water pipe burst in the ceiling at about 3am, and created a new swimming pool in the laundry; leaking under the wall into my room, and all the carpet surrounding, and gushing out through the light fixture over the washing machine.

I had a Skype job interview today (really appreciated the full 3.5 hours of sleep I did get last night) so Mum arranged for the builder and plumber to come after, and I just shut the door against the constant dripping (despite the water being off at the mains) and pretended there was no risk for my being electrocuted.

Good times.

The builder ripped off the ceiling and the plumber replaced the original black piping, which had split - and all the rest, just in case.  'Cause knowing our luck we'll dry out the wood and the next section of old pipe will go.  I'm thinking they should have done it when they refurbished the upstairs bath... Naughty plumber.


The builder then ripped out the rest of the ceiling and some of the wall gib, since it needs to dry out, supposedly 2-4 weeks, but it has dried out in today's heat remarkably already, so I don't think it'll take a full 2 weeks even.  And Dad woke up pretty quickly, so it could have been a lot worse.  Mum is cleaning and mourning her beautiful laundry as I write, "it'll never be the same!"  Unfortunately most likely true.  There are dents/cuts in the lino from either the gib cutting device or unprotected ladder legs, and the paint work is obviously up the creek.  We shall have to see - maybe the plasterers will do a beautiful job...

Today was also the day The Father was due to have a pre-cancerous naughty bit of rubbish cut out from beside his eye, so him and Mother Dearest left very early to get over to Tauranga in time for an early surgery, and left me in peace and quiet for my interview.  None of us got any sleep past 3am.  And Dad now has a sweet below-eye patch.  Heh.

There were no showers or...toilet flushing this morning.  That was...interesting.  (I have a separate bathroom, so it was fine, really).

Yay for chaos!  It never rains but it pours.  (topical humour! Drought! Burst pipe! Feeling guilt for all the water swept out that back door... Twenty days, Wellington - Twenty.  Days.).

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they are getting rid of Reader! Boooooooo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But I think I only ever stuck with it because I was completely oblivious to the existence of alternatives. And they are nicer.

      Tech hipsters for the win :P

      Delete