So I jumped on that wagon. I have, up till now, been pretty much too terrified to even try, due to the wonderful NSHP's epic efforts back in 2010.
But then Bridget had a go, and made it look less scary.
So, because that's how I roll (Pfft, who follows instruction manuals?!) - I jumped in and tweaked as I went. My first batch were pink, and had caramel centres. And, I think, had the best feet out of all my efforts so far.
Second batch were blue, with a coffee flavoured centre. This batch I had better, even baking, and less losses (most of the first batch were macawrong (fist-bump, Ms Humble): toasted brown, shattered, hollow etc etc. This batch was better, but still not great - they had concave bottoms, which meant an excess of delicious coffee flavoured icing. However, for this cookie - less is more. The last photo has ruined colour due to the window in the background. My bad.
The third batch (all this is spread over 2 weeks, mind) was green, with a fabulous raspberry jelly icing.
The piping of the batter was interrupted by the builder, and the batter was a bit loose. They also needed longer drying time, to avoid those cracked tops. But - I think I have my oven position sorted now - one tray at a time, bottom of the oven, door cracked open, not too cool an oven. Will try with a double-tray sitch next time, to get better feet, too. And bench-tapping, for bubbles. You can see the difference baking makes to the colour in this batch.
I have decided there is too much egg in my egg:almond ratio as well, which should help with my lack of height, and slight over-spreading.
I'll be trying again once this lot is eaten.
New favourite biscuit!