Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Easter Craft: Pinterest semi-FAIL

I'm sure the world is aware by now of what Pinterest is, and most have first hand experience of how inspiring/addictive/soul-crushing it can be.  For the uninitiated, it is basically a scrapbook for cool shit you find on the net - things you want to try, inspiration, design and the obligatory cute cat photos.
Get candy into Easter eggs - put small easter eggs in a balloon, inflate, wrap string and glue, dry, pop the balloon ja you have a string egg with a chocolate egg inside!

It is fairly famous for inspiring people to try recipes and crafts found on it - and failing spectacularly.

Of course, despite the overwhelming evidence, one tends to attempt crafts thinking they cannot be so stupid as to fail.  But failing is fun.

So I wanted to try making these, egg-filled string-cage eggs for Easter decoration.  No promises as to that being the original source, I have seen the same images used in different tutes, so who freaking knows.

Basically - stretch a balloon around your filler-eggs, blow-to-size, and then...

Well.  Different methods.

First I had two wee bowls full of slightly watered down PVA and colouring, in which I soaked pieces of string.  I then pulled out the pieces of string, flicking coloured glue about the kitchen, and this is impossible to avoid - fyi; perhaps a better activity for the outdoors (and obviously one for when the parents are out of town for the w/e...heh). However - turns out you need a metric fucktonne of string to get decent coverage on one palm-sized egg, especially if you don't want the shit in the middle falling out.  So I had to use both blue and orange string batches, which, of course, combined into poo-brown and stained my hands something beautiful.
I let this poo coloured egg-of-easter-joy set overnight and popped the balloon the next day.  It was exceptionally flimsy and well...poo-coloured.  You pop the balloon and work it out from under the string.  Of course you have to work the inner-eggs out from the balloon rubber as well.  This version was so rubbish the whole lot came out, so I did it externally and pushed that shit back in after.  Like a reverse birth.

Ok, well - I found the experience hilarious.

My second attempt I diverged from instruction.  The only tutes I could be bothered finding, had the above soak-and-flick method, or alternatively a spray with plastic adhesive one.  I was doing this on a zero budget and blowing through both Mums craft and Dads woodworking PVA stocks, so I was feeling pretty happy with the PVA method.

Anyway - second attempt I mummy-wrapped those suckers (half a spool of cotton string, much?!) and dunked the lot in a barely-watered-down, colourless PVA mix.  I then hung them in the sink to dry, on an ingenious set-up of tupperware struts and bbq tongs, with a second PVA dunking awhile later.

This worked wonderfully for a couple, and failed mightily for the middle, black balloon one.

Too much glue = the bitchin' balloon ceases being a balloon and becomes a plastic liner - solidly glued to the string.

My other fail (in a final batch) involved the bloody balloon deflating overnight, causing the string egg to look like a mutant string...rock...poo...thing.

This one was actually my favourite.  How can you not love the most ugly, pathetic version of any clutch of eggs/people/animals/material goods?!  I don't think I have a specific photo, but regardless, that special egg is being sent to a favourite person for Easter fail-win-cheer.  Yay!
Weak poo-brown on top in pride of place (not due at all to its flimsy nature resulting in crushing should it be anywhere else), and shrunken rock-egg on the right.

If I was to try this again (highly unlikely, lets be honest) I would do a single dunking in watery PVA, let dry, remove the godamn balloon and then dunk again for structural integrity.  And I would use coloured string (since no colour will stick post-pva, and fuck finding the acrylics in this massive house) and have nothing rolling about in the middle.  So it would be decorative egg only, since I think a heavy-duty Stanley knife might be required to break out the chocolate from these babies.  I also think this would be a fabulous way to make lightshades on a budget, but then I think many have thought the same before me...

No comments:

Post a Comment