Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Everyone's a Critic: Gangster Squad

Accompanied my dear Father to Gangster Squad last night, and it was pretty good.  Obviously - SPOILERS to follow.

The story I think lacked reality for me, since I have very little prior knowledge of the gang wars/occupation and, well - American history in general.  However, I did enjoy the story and the cinematography was lovely.

Also - just how bad can people, whom I assume 'shoot up shit' fairly often, be at aiming their guns?!  I know the automatic sitch makes it even harder, but come on!

The romantic exploits of the gorgeous Ryan Gosling (swoon - seriously, those suits?!) were a bit naff, and appeared with very little background information.  You see them having breakfast at one point without any prior indication that the relationship had progressed past that very first supposed one-night-stand.  I've loved Emma Stone since I saw her in Easy A (Ooo and Zombieland - love it!), and she very much suited the costuming of the era, which was very well done, so overall that averaged out to 'tolerable'.

Seriously though - Ryan; yum.  His accent and mannerisms were delightful.  And I hate how they can make cigarette smoking look so...damnit.  His character's redemption after the shoe shining boys death was...gratifying.  The point where he shoots the baddie and claims 'not any more' to the accusation of being a cop was well received, despite feeling like you should disapprove on moral grounds.  Interesting.

The action was good, with liberal use of slow-mo bullet-firing, stuff-smashing etc, and of course the obligatory slow-mo group strut scenes, which always make me giggle.  Again - a little unbelievable here, supposedly a whole gang of killers against only six guys, even if nobody can aim (sorry, gunslinger Kennard) you would assume the odds would be in the gangster's favour.

The main character, the decorated ex-soldier and soon-to-be father, was portrayed by Josh Brolin in a very similar manner to that of Agent K-the-younger.  Not a problem, but had I disliked MIB3 (Um no - loved it), that would have bugged me.

I think I would group this with 'Jack Reacher', in that it is more of a plot-with-action type movie rather than action-fest-plot-like-weak-tea type movie (cough Die Hard cough), so would recommend people of similar taste to those who choose to sit behind me and grumble about the lack of constant man killing, give it a miss.

Perhaps more exciting - saw my first trailer for the new Die Hard, and both of us simultaneously agreed to see it next week.  I am also going to treat myself to a lonely Hansel & Gretel viewing on the weekend, whilst the parents head down to Christchurch (to return with the BigSib+Fiancé on Monday).  I suspect from the trailer alone I will love that ridiculous shit.

3.5 out of 5 (where: 1=actively burning it, 2=waste of time, 3=don't regret having seen it, but... 4=good movie, recommended, 5=blewmymindwhyhaven'tyouseenityetI'vegottoseeitagaintalktoyoulater).

No comments:

Post a Comment