Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tainted Cake

In a good way - the birthday cake a brewery would make.
Directly inspired by The Farm Girl and the Birthday Boy's love of booze:  Guinness cake with whiskey ganache.  The lovely lady at the liquor store broke open a 4 pack for me, apparently Guinness sells by the single can over the holidays due specifically to this reason.  Who would have thought - Guinness cakes popular over Chrissie.
I used the original recipe, which makes 3 full sized cakes, one of which I popped in the freezer for Graduation with the whanau next week, after seeing the height of two layers, that was more than enough.  I also used the biggest aluminium bowl at the The Old One's house, it was only just big enough.  Should have gone with the epic ceramic one you can bath a baby in.  Four cups of sugar?  A whole block of butter?  Four cups of flour?  Sour cream and Guinness?  Sheesh.
The batter was quite liquid, but the cakes baked very easily, and rose beautifully.  I am quite looking forward to seeing how the middle texture turns out.  I suspect the edges might have dried out a bit too much.  Will see.
That is a ridiculous amount of cake.  And it was a heavy bitch to carry in this morning.  I've left it out of the fridge to hopefully warm up a little, and have the whiskey ganache soften.
Best part of Guinness!  I love the little widgets, and I have no idea why.

Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

  1. looks amazing! you should try the Baileys frosting something, that shit is *good*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I wanted to but couldn't afford the Baileys in addition to all the other ingredients. Was planning whiskey ganache middle layer, Baileys frosting on top. So yum, so much coma.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Which bottle shop sells Guinness separately? I need some for Christmas pud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one by Centre City New World! Ask the peeps, they'll do it for you. They didn't have any singles lying around - though if you're lucky you might get the end of my pack!

      Delete
  3. Also, bit of an update - the cake was lovely and moist, very rich. One layer or *very* small pieces. Win!

    ReplyDelete