Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Stuff and Bollocks


The Authoress and I attended a midweek performance of the Heroes production at the Fortune Theatre, last week.

It was brilliant.

The entire cast is three people in one beautiful terrace set; three brilliant old men, with sarcasm and wit, and filthy, filthy french humour.  I had no expectation going in, The Authoress had booked us tickets, but I was completely delighted.  If its playing in a theatre near you, I would definitely recommend it.  I'm hesitant to spoil the plot, it would be such a shame.  Catching up with The Authoress is always good times.

I saw the last of the Terminator movie franchise this weekend, definitely my least favourite, but then sequels (or is this one technically a prequel?) which do not use the same actors are always going to leave you with a jarring note.  Also watched The Fifth Element - brilliant.  I love hilarious scifi monsters, especially the late 80s/early 90s ones, big ups to TOO for the recommendation.  So yep - raging weekend.  I did shamelessly coerce The Knitting One out to the beach for a coffee Sunday avo, definite highlight.

The new Doctor Who series started yesterday!  I watched it late last night in bed, it was very exciting.  Of course there are questions.  Like, [SPOILERS] how on earth can she be the new companion if shes a freaking Dalek?!  And she didn't remember him, so its not a Silence in the Library sitch where the Doctor meets her for the first time at the end of her life.  Gah, Moffat! Gah!  I guess we're back to living week-by-week in anticipation.  Gah!  Also in the Gah! category - what's up with women making decisions for their partners?  How did Amy know Rory would not want her more than kids?  And to divorce with no discussion?!  Stupid, stupid woman.  Gah!

I've started reading The PhD Grind, and my first impressions are with regards how completely different the PhD process is between disciplines, and yet how utterly the same the whole 'lifestyle choice' ends up.  The same problems, the same milestones and soul-destroying disappointments.  Its nice and short, and if it gets any better I might do a lengthier review, but in the mean time if you're bored, the files are free, here.

I wrote a piece on the DNA-as-storage-medium article in Science a couple weeks back, here on Sciblogs, here on myblogs (Oh I am hilarious).  In case you missed the subtle hint, Mum, that was for you - go read it.

I've been sorting my life out since submission, generic cliche things like alternate career debates/soulsearching (there's nothing I want to do more that academia...unfortunately) and starting up a decent swimming routine again.  One and a half kilometres, Monday to Friday.  I spent the first half of the week with ridiculous lower back pain, but according to the Google and then a trial in the second half of the week, a simple adjustment of my neck angle sorted the problem.  Firstly, I can't believe I sorted out a problem using the internet and not resorting to "I have cancer", and secondly - the fact that looking at the direct bottom of the pool instead of just slightly forwards can create such an over extension of the lower back muscles and such rancid pain.  Bones and muscles are weird, and why did I do it all of a sudden?!  I also invested in some fins, for the first time ever.  I've been swimming my whole life and have only had them as a toy, once.  But these are short fins, and supposedly work your leg and butt muscles more, especially if you have lazy legs, which I do.  I forget they are there most of the time. However - they make you go so much faster than normal, I spent a quarter kilometre choking on water because I was giggling so much.  Brilliant good fun - until the cramps hit from unused muscles at such angles.

On a related note (ok, not really) the Dunedin Marathon is on this weekend and a host of people from the Dept are doing the half; TCO, TBO and THO included.  The Long-haired One and I are going to be cheering squad, and to get the secret official notes on who-beat-who (TCO for the win!).  Weather dependant, it should be a brill day.

Its spring!  Here's hoping for a good week, with some good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment