Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Someone else wrote this for me

I found a piece somehow, via the magic of internet, from 2010 discussing hired assignment writing from the perspective of one such writer. It is fascinating.

I remember being shocked in third year at University when I learned that my flatmates cheated as a matter of course - all the boys in the program reused assignments from previous years students with little re-writing. Being the innocent, naive soul that I (still) fear I am, I was horrified that such a practice was common - and accepted.

Shocked, I tell you.

Higher education is a sacred institution to me. In the same way that library books are the most precious item in your possession, and no matter how worn and old, should be treated with reverence until the time you return them to the library itself.   I sewed little fabric covers for my library books when I was younger (I doubt Mum even noticed the loss of the polar fleece scraps...).

So this...upsets me. And interestingly I am more upset by the people willing to engage such services than the people providing the service (who are just writing to commission?!). You should know better! You should have more integrity! How can your moral standards withhold such a barrage?!

Anyway - its a fascinating read, have a squiz if you have a mo.

"I do a lot of work for seminary students. I like seminary students. They seem so blissfully unaware of the inherent contradiction in paying somebody to help them cheat in courses that are largely about walking in the light of God and providing an ethical model for others to follow. " 

"...and even a bit of a thrill in seeing whether I can do it. And I can. It's not implausible to write a 75-page paper in two days. It's just miserable. I don't need much sleep, and when I get cranking, I can churn out four or five pages an hour." 

"You know what's never happened? I've never had a client complain that he'd been expelled from school, that the originality of his work had been questioned, that some disciplinary action had been taken. As far as I know, not one of my customers has ever been caught."

1 comment:

  1. Oh it makes me so angry! Sure, I would frequently leave my assignments to the last minute... but then I stayed up all night writing the f#ckers myself! And these little poop heads were getting all up in my bell curve with their fraudulent grades. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete