Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Drosophila iPhone case - cross stitched

BAM! Evidence of my geekery - manifest.

So this wee project was born from my lust for these Grove iPhone cases, here.  Sublime - but ridiculously expensive for a poor PhD student such as myself.  So, in sifting about through the internet for ideas, I came across these here, and immediately bought one.  I wasn't even sure what I would do with it (or if it would even arrive in wee New Zealand), or how I would decide on a design, but it was one of those things that are perhaps just...fate (dum dum duuuuuum).

Fate, impulse buy - same diff, right?

Anyway - its taken me 12 days of about 2 hours per evening to complete it (and if I'm honest, one whole half day last weekend...its kind of thesis writing, right?  Its got a Dros on it!), and here it is.  I did try to straight-stitch in wing veins between the white wing-crosses, but due to the black background you just couldn't see them, so I took them out.  I should have perhaps cross stitched in the veins themselves - but meh.  Next time maybe.
Completed case 1


There's also a wee story behind my superb, one-of-a-kind, indie design (yeah, I'm gonna milk this); my original idea, which you can see on the pattern below, was to have multi-coloured beakers and flasks.
Blank and prelim design


Generic 'science', but bright and happy.  The supe walked through our office one avo and saw me tinkering on it and proceeded to ask why exactly I was drawing chemistry signifier's, since I was a Drosophila geneticist.  (not the 'work, minion!' I was guiltily expecting).  I proceeded to have a wee moan about how that would be really hard, and he basically flat out challenged my creative/design/cross stitch abilities.

Challenge accepted.

With such a 'pixel restriction', I had to keep it fairly simple, and in recompense for the thousands of male Dros I have killed over the course of my thesis, its a boy (ten points for Slytherin if you can tell me how you know that to be true).

And just because I can, and love photos, and love this freaking fly - here's a million progress shots (spot the one fine day we've had in the last 2 weeks!):
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Yeah, it felt pretty slow going right up until the last couple of threads of blue.  And I perhaps should have used a better colour to show up the contrast in the flowers, leaves and vines (for which I was chastised by the supe - the scale is wrong, how could I?  Hilarious.).  The fraying sitch is also going to suck, and I doubt this is a case that will last long when confronted with scraping pockets and icky fingers (not my own, of course - all those miscreants I call friends).
Completed case 2
And because I know you are a purist and love such details, the back is not as neat as it should be; I started out with good intentions, but....yeah, meh.
Stage 12

You can have a squiz at the pics native, here.

So that's that.  Umm...thesis writing?

2 comments:

  1. BEYOND. AWESOME! And so cool to meet a Kiwi geek who stitches and can quote HP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound cool! Where do you live? Lets be friends.

      Delete