Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

12 Magics of Chrissie: 10


The magic - everything.  The beach, the family, the food, the sun, the holiday...

I know, I know – I’m late.  However, the rule reads that Chrissie lasts until New Years Eve (which is also coincidentally my-birthdays-eve, and *that* particular rule reads that my birthday lasts a week on either side – including corresponding no-dishes-privileges) so I’m ok to continue. 

I’m only late because life is good – I have had…6?!  Holy craptesictulars Batman – has it really been 6 days already?!  Ok – six days of beautiful holiday including a wonderful Christmas day and I haven’t been able to contemplate touching my computer let alone pulling it out of its bag.  Broke the seal yesterday to start work on my thesis once more – I cried myself to sleep (not actually – I read myself to sleep, Chrissie books!  Whoop!).

So here I am warming up my fingers for thesis, cup of tea at my side in my favourite Mum-china mug, a magnificent view of the parents garden, including berry vines and veges for Africa, and the ocean twinkling blue in the distance.  It’s not too hot and there is a bit of cloud (prequel to the horror coming tomorrow, countrywide storms NZ?  Really?) so the glare and outside-pull factors are restrained.  I have two tired doggies sleeping at my feet and a quiet house – Mum has cleared the nana, uncle and cousin off to Tauranga for the day (with the promise of more berries from the farm on the return journey), and Dad has popped out to the dump/recycling (did we really drink that much?!).

Presents, you ask?  A few wee beautiful things from my most favourite people.  With my being hopeful of leaving the country this year the scope for stuff was limited – and I really could not think of anything I wanted that I did not have or could not procure for myself (you know, apart from the wishes – a man in my life, a job, financial security, the health and happiness of my family and friends, a thesis, a man in my life – blah blah blah (maybe for my birthday, magic-present-making-god?! Yeah?!)).  Mum and Dad got me a beautiful glass bowl, Mum has been trying to replace my beautiful strawberry bowl that a negligent flatmate once tried to bake a soufflé in – a hand blown glass bowl with decorative bubbles worked into the glass and hand forged glass strawberries on the side, which I got for my 21st.  No one has ever been able to find another like it – and we have all been looking.  My little baby brother has a new girlfriend who helped him shop this year, and the two of them did a remarkably good job.  Probably helped along by the fact that the bro now has a job.  And bigsib wowed and surprised everyone with beautiful things from England.

The dogs all have a silicone DNA toy now too, so all the animals in the family are sufficiently scienced.  Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the extendeds – a favorite dinner time entertainment is ‘rile Sarah with claims of faux scientific or religious argument’. 

“So now that you’re almost a doctor, Seerious, tell me – is this atheletes foot going to heal on its own?” *foot thrust in my face*

“So tell us, Seerious, which came first – the chicken or the egg?”  “How do you explain Noah’s arc?” and so on.  Little shits.  I find the best rejoinder is to ask if the boys are planning on marrying their girls.  Ever.  Have they thought about it?  What about babies?  Then of course Mum and Nana jump in with exclamations of delight and my work is done.

The boys went fishing on Boxing Day and brought back snapper etc for supper, I’ve been getting creative with salads at dinner and whipped up Chrissie ham and cheese scones for lunch yesterday – about a million of them which disappeared in about 10 minutes flat.  Apart from Mum making fresh batches of mincemeat pies, that’s the extent of the cooking/baking sitch this week.  So relaxed its amazing.  The last of the Chrissie pud disappeared last night with custard and icecream – I’m a bit sad about that.

Logan has been off exploring all days, comes in at dusk for a feed and then is off again for the night.  Super happy, jumps in my bedroom window, jumps on the dog, has a wee neck rub with him then tries to steal my water – gets angry when he finds I have covered it to prevent such action, jumps on my face in disgust and then yowels at the door to be let out into the hall.  Heaven forbid he jump back out the window and then in the dog-door to get to his food, not when humans can open doors for him.  He’s scoffing a full packet of meat a day – more if he sweet-talks my brother into a second feed, whereas in Dunedin it takes him 3-4 days to get through one.  He is still unsure of my Mum's dog – Jimmy does tend to have a wee bark at him, but then Logan did swipe his nose on first meeting, so stays to the downstairs part of the house.  I think in winter he will start moving up into the top floor for warmth and company.  It’s quite funny watching the three animals interact, Trouble joins in on the barking fun with Jimmy but then cries and whimpers at the fence for 10 minutes when his kitten runs away over it.  Very cute.

Alright, fingers are sufficiently warm.  Wait – what time is it?  Oh – definitely time for another cuppa.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me very happy (and very jealous about your wonderful warm Christmas). Happy holidays my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me happy writing it! The best of the seasons tidings to you too! (and your cute PiC-plus-dog)

    ReplyDelete