Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lets pop a leach down your trousers

The Wall Street Journal has a piece by Ricky Gervais on 'Why I'm an atheist'.  There are gems throughout:

Oh science
"It doesn’t hold on to medieval practices because they are tradition. If it did, you wouldn’t get a shot of penicillin, you’d pop a leach down your trousers and pray."

"The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts."
I'm pretty sure a lot of people do have their own facts...

On the onus of explanation being on the believer
"If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”"

On the day in which he stopped believing
"I was never ashamed of poverty. It was almost noble. Also, everyone I knew was in the same situation, and I had everything I needed. School was free. My clothes were cheap and always clean and ironed. And mum was always cooking. She was cooking the day I was drawing on the cross"
Beautiful.  And this:

"growing up where I did, mums didn’t hope as high as their kids growing up to be doctors; they just hoped their kids didn’t go to jail. So bring them up believing in God and they’ll be good and law abiding"

When his brother cheekily asks why he believes in god (to his mothers horror):
"There is no God. He knows it, and she knows it deep down. It was as simple as that. I started thinking about it and asking more questions, and within an hour, I was an atheist"

"Wow. No God. If mum had lied to me about God, had she also lied to me about Santa?"

And finally:
"Let’s be honest, if one person believed in God he would be considered pretty strange. But because it’s a very popular view it’s accepted. And why is it such a popular view? That’s obvious. It’s an attractive proposition. Believe in me and live forever"


It's a good article, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment